Wednesday, January 13, 2010

UK Driving, Part Deux

Mood: Tired
Theme Song: “Survivor” - Vanilla Ice

Currently watching today’s installment of Celebrity Big Brother. Yes, I’m officially addicted. And I don’t care what Stephen Baldwin says, he is on something. That man is insane.  I have also developed new respect for Sisquo. I just want to adopt him or something, like a little puppy.

I had another driving adventure today. When I woke up, snow was falling and the roads were wet. I cleared off Le Peugeot and safely navigated my way to work. Except for I took the wrong exit on the second roundabout and found myself driving into a housing estate. I put on my indicator light to turn around but the guy behind me still felt like being a real arsehole and blowing his horn. For the first time in England, I flipped someone the bird - and it felt good. I was like, Yeah! Suck it! Freeeebirrrrrd! LOL

Driving
At lunch, my coworker Jenny served as navigator as I drove to the Comet store. (No, its not a superstore for bathroom cleaning powder - its like a Best Buy or Circuit City). The ride there was fairly uneventful, but I did learn alot about British road signs and how “lane control is key in Britain”.

http://www.driving-test-success.com/uk-road-signs.htm

I also learned that when a Brit says “turn right”, they don’t mean make a 90 degree right turn. They mean bear right in a roundabout. I almost turned directly into incoming traffic due to that wee little misunderstanding.  I got to drive on the motorway (the M20) and I swear it felt like that scene in Clueless where Dionne (the lovely Stacey Dash) accidentally drives on the highway and they all think they’re going to die. It wasn’t that bad, but it was as nerve-wracking. There were no near collisions, accidents or incidents though.

On the way back, I learned all about roundabouts - basically don’t stop unless you see incoming traffic coming from the right. The Brits don’t take kindly to me stopping randomly “just to check things out”. Also, the lights here are weird. They go RED - then ORANGE and RED at the same time - then GREEN. And then the opposite. Seeing an orange and red light at the same time was weird.  Jenny is a total saint for coming with me, because I would have been SO lost!

Jenny also helped me negotiate great deals on a TV, a washer/dryer, a Hoover (vaccuum), and a Blu Ray player. But more on that later…

P.S. - I have TWO men and a van coming Friday. Yes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment