Monday, May 25, 2015

I have found Das Flat!

So, I found a flat! *cue applause*

This past Thursday, I spent all day viewing 9 different properties with my relocation consultant. I was pleasantly surprised in that only one of them resulted in me making the "icky face" - i.e. I walk in, look around and immediately think "Nope, nope, nope and hell to the nope". I couldn't help but compare this experience to my flat-hunting in London - what a difference it makes to have a professional consultant helping!

I saw some gorgeous apartments, all in different styles. There was the newly renovated old sewing factory loft-style apartment, which had tons of light but was in a more industrial area. There was the absolutely gorgeous pre-war apartment with vaulted ceilings but with way, way too much space. I didn't want a tiny box like I had in England, but I'm also only one person and I don't want to pay a fortune in utilities. I saw two very cool apartments which were in refurbished older buildings and right on the high street of a main neighborhood. I liked them very much but they had what I call the stairway of death - a true corkscrew stairway. I don't mean winding. I mean corkscrew. Like you see in some lofts or outside buildings for fire escapes. I was scared going up and down and I couldn't even imagine navigating it on a daily basis. I don't mind the lack of elevator, but I don't want to meet my end through an unfortunate slip on some German stairs.

In the end, I chose the apartment that gave me the most happy feelings when I walked in. It is in Frankfurt's northern West End, in a building built in 1902. There is a lovely older "housekeeper" who lives in the bottom flat. (In Germany, I suppose this is a bit like a superintendent, but without the toolbelt, attitude problem and plumber butt). The apartment has 2 bedrooms, a large living room, a typically small kitchen and 1 1/2 baths. It's older, so it has a unique flow - I will have to walk through the living room to get to the bathroom - but that doesn't really bother me. It has beautiful bay windows, parquet floors and pocket doors. I know this style isn't for everyone, but I LOVED it.

Interestingly enough, it will cost me about the same as what I was paying in Philadelphia. The difference is that I have to purchase my own washer/dryer and refrigerator, as well as wardrobes for storing my clothing and shoes. However, considering that in German it is normal to often have to buy the entire KITCHEN (yes, this is true, and I will go into this in another post), I figure I got off easy. I can't wait to move in (July 1st!) and truly get settled.

The flat is in a wonderful neighborhood, and in less than 10 minutes I can get to a supermarket, several cafes, several restaurants, a gorgeous park, the Palmengarten (like a conservatory/botanical garden) and the U-Bahn. I can even walk to "old town" Frankfurt in about 20 minutes should I feel like a bit of death by tourist. I plan on getting a bike - with basket! with bell! - and exploring all that Frankfurt has to offer.


The outside of the building. My flat is the third window up (just above the balcony)

The living room - look at those windows!!!

My bedroom - I can't wait to put a chair and read in that little nook

The entry way

The guest bedroom - now accepting reservations! ;)

The kitchen - very German, very functional

No comments:

Post a Comment