Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Das Job and Such


Heading off to the train station for two days in Frankfurt for work shortly, but quick update here. Started my new job, and so far (2 days in), it’s really great! I have my own office and my boss and I already have a great rapport. He’s incredibly smart and has been in the industry for nearly 20 years and I know I’m going to learn so much from him, and from this role.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the work culture. It is the furthest thing from PC - everyone is open, direct and honest. The working environment is professional but casual, and people have been more friendly than I expected. I am really looking forward to my German lessons, as my “teach myself” method isn’t going to get me anywhere near fluency. I am putting words together to make sentences, and DuoLingo is very helpful, but I still feel quite lost most days.

I’ve made myself a promise with regard to the food. Lay off the brot (bread). The bread here is delicious and comes in oh-so-many tempting varieties. And it is fresh, and cheap. And I pass THREE bakeries on the way to/from work. Someone call Kenny Loggins, because I’m seriously in the danger zone. I’ve found most of what I need in the local Rewe (pronounced Rev-ey) store - and I continue to appreciate the high quality and the freshness of the food. As the store is literally about 5 minutes walking distance, I’m also loving shopping 3-4 times a week. I’m spending less, cooking more. Good stuff… if I can just step away from the bread.

One other point before I head out - the wine. I have tried a local white - it was decent, although a bit sweeter than I prefer. But the big story here are the prices. I bought a bottle of Montepulciano D’Abruzzo red wine and was extremely dubious because the cost was 1.99 Euro. (Basically $2.50 given the current exchange rate). Result? It was DELICIOUS and as good as any $15-20 bottle I had purchased in the U.S.

I suppose I had better re-phrase my resolution. Lay off the bread and wine ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment