Sunday, September 19, 2010

Hate on England #1

I have said several times that I often hate on England for stupid things that happen. I'm going to start recording these, both for my own amusement and for posterity's sake. A good example is what happened last night.

My friend Marianne called Domino's to order a pizza for the two of us. She called around 18:30h (6:30pm), as I was due to arrive around 19h (7-ish), and so the pizza would soon follow. Well, it got to be close to 20h (8pm) and no pizza. So Marianne called Domino's. The first person she talked to told her that her pizza would be delayed at least a half an hour. The rest of the conversation went something like this:

M: "Another half hour? That would mean the pizza will be an hour late."
D (Domino's Employee) says something about problems with the oven.
M: "Well, that's not acceptable. When will my pizza be here?"
As is the custom in England, they put her on hold and gave her to an even less helpful person who then explained that the oven had broken and so our order was cancelled.
M: "As I told the person before, that is not acceptable"
Domino's employee asks Marianne what she'd like to do. She responds by saying, "Well, I'd like not to order from your facility anymore!"
The employee then goes on to explain that they cancelled the order and apparently there is nothing they can do for us. Marianne raised the very valid point that as they had her phone number as part of the order, they should have called to say that the oven was broken and no pizza was coming. Apparently the Domino's employee took issue with this idea, finding it rather unreasonable. Marianne's response - which I love - was, "Yeah? Well, ok thanks! I hope you get deported!" and she hung up the phone.
We then ordered Chinese food, which arrived on time with no issues.

In America, Domino's would have called. And probably offered a pizza from their nearest location, OR some kind of financial remuneration. Over here in England, they just don't care! Seriously. They could have cared less!

And so ends this first edition of "Why I hate on England". More to come, I'm sure... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment