Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Bits n Bobs from Brussels

Mood: Positive
Theme Song: "You Got Me" by The Roots feat Erkyah Badu (just because its what's on my iPod right now)

Greetings! I know its been ridiculously long since I've posted anything new and all I can say is sorry, sorry, sorry! The past few weeks have been a whirlwind and every time I sat down to try to write something, I either ran out of internet time or found myself with a horrendous case of writer's block.

So last week I was in lovely Brussels, which I really liked. Especially when I found out that although many people do speak Dutch, French is the main language of the city. I just love using my French, and it actually came in handy in a few cases where we needed to clarify food orders/directions, etc. I really liked the city - it was neat mix of old and new and reminded me of a mini-Paris in many ways. There are lots of little squares and it wasn't hard to imagine people of hundreds of years ago gathering there on a warm sunny day. There were cobblestones everywhere, and while they were MURDER to walk on, I couldn't help but imagine myself strolling along in a long dress, complete with corset, parasol and mustachio'ed gentleman on my arm.

One of the lessons I'm learning is that food service outside the U.S. is a relative term. The concept of greeting a table within 2 minutes to take their drink order is laughable over here. If you're going to a restaurant, be prepared to wait. And wait. And wait. I can't figure out if its bad service or if its just a different understanding/appreciation for time. Or a combination of both. My American-ness has me getting antsy if I've been sitting at a table longer than a few minutes and no one has come over to introduce themselves and mumble a list of specials at me. On that note, people at work make terrible fun of how American waiters and waitresses insist on introducing themselves - like they're on a date or job interview. As one of my coworkers said, "I don't care what your name is! I just want my bloody food!" LOL

After a few days in Brussels I never wanted to see another french fry, ham and cheese sandwich or omelette. I mean I love all of those things, but in moderation. I was so thankful when two Belgian women working our booth were kind enough to take me to an out-of-the-way local cafe for some real food. I had a wonderful leafy green salad with parma ham and parmesan shavings and ripe red tomatoes and I was in foodie heaven. It was so good that I took two of my co-workers there on Friday for our end-of-show celebratory lunch and I had a lovely strip steak that melted in my mouth. Best meat I've had in Europe so far.

I have to congratulate myself because I only ate three pieces of chocolate while in Brussels - and there are chocolatiers everywhere. Our hotel was literally next door to a place called "Chocopolis". Six months ago, between the chocolate and frites, I would have been like Hungry Hungry Hippo all over town, but I'm trying to behave myself. Those three pieces were divine, though. Yummy, yummy, yummy!

So I guess when I look back on Brussels, the following come to mind:
  • Cobblestone streets - beautiful to look at, evil to walk on (even in flats)
  • Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate
  • Waffles and frites 
  • Beautiful architecture - the Grand Place is stunning. Reminded me of the Louvre in its absolute beauty and scope. So hard to imagine people taking the time to design and build things like this - without computers or any real sense of what the finished product would look like... and often without any guarantee that they would even live to see its completion! That's something I don't miss about America - our lack of stunning historical architecture
  • French, french, french - I got to speak French! :)
  • Pink Elephant Beer - at something like 8% it is deadly. Definitely made me stupid.
  • A Real DJ! We all went out one night and thank heavens for the lovely DJ who played actual, real contemporary music. No theme from Baywatch. No 80s revival. No weird Brit pop. I was a happy, happy girl
Finally, the last thing I think of is that I definitely want to go back. It was about a 1.5h train ride from Ashford - so easy! I can definitely see myself going back for a mini-break (weekend away). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment