Sunday, August 15, 2010

English Summer

Mood: Neutral
Theme Song: "Roger That" - Young Money (Lil' Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Tyga)

Let's see... what exciting things have happened to me this summer?

  • I miss windowscreens. English houses do not have them. Therefore, I now have flies in my house. Granted, not huge Biblical swarms of them or anything - but enough to be annoying. Enough to wonder why English people don't use &^$£! screens in their windows.
  • I actually like the weather over here (well at least this summer). It has only gotten up to about 30C - which is just under 90F. But there is no humidity! I don't know if it is because I live closer to the "sea" (aka English Channel), but my hair has not once gone full-force Afro Puffs on me, which has been a real blessing. There were only 2-3 nights where I really wished I had a fan, or air conditioning. 
  • I studied for - and passed! - my driving theory test. I can't say that people over here are better drivers, but the test is certainly MUCH harder than I remember from the U.S. Of course the last test I took was way back in 1999 in Kentucky, but it didn't necessitate any kind of studying. I think I didn't study at all in fact. For this test, I bought a CD-Rom and basically went through every possible question that could be on the test, and learned the answer. I now know random, esoteric facts about the English Highway Code - which could come in handy if I am ever on some kind of weird English game show.
  • I am getting used to English grocery stores, and a different way of shopping. I no longer do a big massive shopping trip, spending way too much money on food I will inevitably waste. I go 2-3 times a week, as needed. This means I eat healthier and fresher. They also sell milk over here in tiny little pints - they look like miniature big milks. I love them!! :) Sample daily menu? Greek yoghurt with honey and blueberries for breakfast, either leftovers for lunch (or a can of soup/sandwich from the sandwich shop across the street), and then something fresh and healthy for dinner. Like scrambled eggs, smoked salmon and wheat toast. (yum!) Or roasted gammon, mashed potatoes and steamed asparagus. Or roasted turkey/chicken, bean cassoulet and steamed broccoli. I don't eat that way EVERY day as there are plenty of times when I come home and am too tired to make anything but a PB&J sandwich. But most of the time I'm eating healthy fresh food - and I feel so much better. On that note, I also haven't eaten very much junk food since moving here. The worst things I eat are the occasional crisps (Walker's Ready Salted! Cheese-n-Onion Pringles!) and chocolate bar (Galaxy is mmmmmmm). I don't really drink that much soda - but when I do, I drink regular Coke. It's still made with sugar over here and so I don't get the weird aspartame after-shakes I was getting in the U.S. And since its full-flavour, I also tend to drink much less. I can hardly finish an 8 oz can of it these days.
  • I am (gasp) beginning to understand the English ways of doing some things. Like, for example, why they have washer/dryers and not the full size machines we have in America. Not only are places much smaller here, but utilities are EXPENSIVE.  So many of the "why do they do that?" moments are being explained as I am here longer. It really is a different way of living, existing, etc. I still don't understand the need for roundabouts (other than to piss me off) - well, okay from a traffic engineering standpoint, yes I do understand them. And they make some sense. I just don't like the one by my house because it is a free-for-all. No one uses their signals and they change lanes like they're being chased by the police. 
I'm going to digress a bit to speak a bit about how weird it is to see America from outside the country. I have always known that my country is new and young, blahblahblah. But I don't think I have ever appreciated it - truly understood or appreciated that difference. Things are what I call "easier" in America because the country is newer. Its like the difference between a really old building and a new one. The new one is easier to navigate - cleaner, shinier, has more amenities. But it lacks the character and depth of the old one. That's the best way I know to describe it. Our roads are better - because they are newer. Our infrastructure works better (I think) because its newer. I'm not sure yet why our customer service is better - but it is. I never thought I'd say that, but since moving to England, I actually miss those sunny people at the DMV!!

Most of the news I read/see is from the UK or Europe - and its really interesting to see how differently stories are covered. I can go to BBC and the switch to CNN or even a local website from Ohio and Seattle - and the way things are presented are very different. I always feel like some of the big stories in the U.S. are viewed very tongue-and-cheek over here. Like "Awww, look, little America is upset again. How cute!"

And now I have my topic for my next blog entry.... :P

*Federman out.

No comments:

Post a Comment