Sunday, July 19, 2015

Boxmania!

My search to rid myself of the massive furniture boxes has now been renamed "Boxmania" by my work colleagues. I'm lucky that I work with some really nice people who have been incredibly helpful and supportive during my move. However even they are astonished at the production Germany is making over these boxes.

One of the women on my team has been calling the FES (garbage services, for lack of a better word) to try to get some resolution. It seems that the FES will gladly and without cost come and pick up any old furniture or other assorted junk I may have. However, they want nothing to do with these boxes. Their option was for me to pay to have a container dropped off (about $150 USD equivalent) and then I fill the container and they come back and get it. The catch is that the container cannot be left in any public space - i.e. sidewalk, street. (Which, I think is a whole bunch of hooey as the people down the road are renovating and it looks like Containers 'R' Us opened up a pop-up show on the sidewalk in front of their house). Seeing as how I live in an apartment and do not have a driveway, this is problematic. Also problematic is the fact that the container men don't speak English and so trying to arrange a drop-off or pick-up on my own is nearly impossible. Best part? They told my colleague that if they don't understand me, or if I'm "not home" when they arrive, they will not leave the container, but go ahead and charge me anyway just for fun.

My colleague is born-and-bred German. In fact she grew up in the GDR, so she knows a little something about inflexible government institutions and processes - and even she is flummoxed. It seems the only viable solution is for me to rent a van for a day (which is surprisingly affordable) and throw all the boxes in the back and then take it to a place called the Werkstoffhof, where they apparently delight in accepting boxes. It seems that in Germany, this is how it is done. My challenge stems from the fact that I ordered my furniture from a French company, who then sub-contracts the delivery out to Hermes. Most German furniture companies will apparently unbox the furniture and take the boxes with them. Also complicating my situation is the fact that I've got some industrial-sized boxes (good for transcontinental shipping; bad for breaking down/folding) - and even when I fold them over and jump on top of them they don't break down. And while I like to kid myself that I am a delicate flower of womanhood, there should be enough of me flopping around on that cardboard to make a dent. Alas, no. I'm pretty sure that if left to their own devices, these boxes could give Roman ruins some competition in terms of durability and sustainability.

The rest of my furniture is due to arrive on the 6th and I have been lucky enough to enlist the help of a co-worker and her husband for the dreaded un-boxing. As I insisted on purchasing furniture that was already put together, it seems the universe (or Germany) is punishing me by providing me with said furniture wrapped in boxes double my height. Unboxing my wardrobe was hard enough and so I know that there is no way I could get my desk, bookshelf, etc set up without causing mass injury and/or destruction. I figure this is a win-win all around; I get help with boxes and they get free entertainment (and a nice meal) out of it.

Beyond the great box explosion, I'm settling in nicely. Yesterday, I set out in search of an ATM as I needed cash for the taxi I would be taking to the airport. I accidentally left my phone at home and so couldn't do a quick search for a nearby Deutsche Bank, so I figured I would just keep walking until I found one. Well, I never found a Deutsche Bank (ended up paying 3,85 Euro to withdrawl from another bank) but I did realize that my flat is so close to downtown Frankfurt. About 5 minutes walk takes me away from a quiet, tree-lined residential area to the bustling shopping area that begins at Alte Opera. Not only is this building gorgeous to look at, it seems I can actually go get my culture on inside.

Alte Opera at night - not my photo


If I keep walking, I get to the Hauptwache, and the beginning of the main shopping street called the Zeil. There are tons of small alleyways and shopping streets, and from the Hauptwache, there are signs pointing to almost every major landmark of interest in the main city.

I can't wait to be back and have more time to explore. Not only is it any easy walk, but if I keep going straight beyond all that, I get right to the river, with a nice running path. It seems I did indeed pick a great location for my apartment. Now, I just cannot wait until it is de-boxed (is that a word? It should be) and fully furnished. Roll on, September!


No comments:

Post a Comment