Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dancing - America v. England

Mood: Happy
Theme Song: "Flipside" - Moloko

I'm watching the latest season of "Got To Dance" - basically the UK equivalent of So You Think You Can Dance - and I can't help but be amazed by the vast difference between what is considered "good" dancing in the UK, and what we think is good back in America. I find it to be pretty consistent when dealing with established forms of dance - salsa, lyrical, ballet, ballroom. It's when people come out and try to "street dance" or freestyle that my eyes start burning.

I'm honestly not trying to poke fun here - I really don't understand how certain things are considered "good dancing" or "rhythmic". I know that England is an island, but they get MTV and they are highly influenced by American culture. What they appear to not be influenced by is the ability to stay on beat or "feel" the music. I've just watched a series of dancers come on the stage, jerk around like they have epilepsy but because they "pop" some part of their body or wear a hoody and jeans, they are lauded as being "real" and "street".

I am not exaggerating when I say that I've given better performances drunk in the middle of the street. The whole thing leaves me rather frustrated, and frankly, speechless. I'm really hoping that some of my English friends will read this and try to explain. Because I don't get it. A beat is a beat. You're either on it, or off it. Mimicking a video and throwing up a lot of rapper hand gestures does not make you a dancer. Hell, I do that five days out of seven for no reason when I'm waiting for my train. You don't see me trying to win money on a TV show.

American friends, do me a favor. Check out this dance troupe - and give me your honest opinion. Am I being too harsh? Have I just been away from home too long? They won the title in 2009 and are universally lauded as being real "hip-hop" dancers. To me, they look like mediocre extras from a late 80s Janet Jackson video. The little kid is cute, but I bet there are any number of 4-6 year olds in any neighborhood in America who would clean his clock without thinking twice.

I made a resolution last year to stop making fun of England, and I think it's a good one. Rather than make fun, I am really trying to understand the culture. It's just hard when I encounter things like this - where there is such a HUGE gap between what I see as reality and what the Brits accept. Although, in thinking about it, what most Americans think about England is really, really incorrect so maybe it's just fair play.

I welcome your thoughts.
Now, seeing as how anyone and their grandma can get on this TV show, I'm off to practice my moves so I'm ready for the next round of auditions...  =)

1 comment:

  1. Well...I have to say I'm with you on this! I was less than impressed. Seemed more like either an audition phase or early round phase dance to me.

    ReplyDelete